OpenMikeLIVE! Highlighting Art during Social Distancing
We’re giving high school students anywhere a chance to participate in OpenMikeLIVE! – a virtual OpenMike celebrating expression of all types and skill levels! OpenMikeLIVE! will air on SocialWorks’ social media pages in late May.
We’ve also been working on some amazing gifts for you! When you submit your art for OpenMikeLIVE! you’ll automatically be entered into a raffle where 3 lucky winners will win exclusive SocialWorks x Jordan Merch Bags! Crazy, right?!
If you or someone you know is in high school and may be interested in participating in our first ever OpenMikeLIVE! keep reading and share the info below.
Submission Deadline: May 22nd at 10pmCST
Submission Link: https://www.socialworkschi.org/openmike-live/
A note of Encouragement:
Remember, you can submit by yourself or as a group. All art and skill levels are welcomed! If you’re funny, tell some jokes. If you got bars, let us hear ‘em! If you can toosie slide, WHERE YOU AT?! Calling all rappers, musicians, dancers, singers, poets, magicians, comedians, gymnasts, story-tellers, painters, illustrators, producers and more! Whatever you want to submit and show your peers, do it! This is your time to shine! You’ve got 60 seconds to be yourself and tell your story!
- Create a 1-minute recording of you performing or showcasing your art! Your art should be clean and respectful! That means no racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, or gender-biased language allowed!
- Take a picture of your high school ID. You can be from anywhere in the world, as long as you’re in high school you can participate!
- Label your ID and your video. The correct format to use is “lastname”_“firstname”. Any submissions not labeled in this format will unfortunately not be accepted.
- Complete the submission form at socialworkschi.org/openmike-live. Make sure your information and documents are labeled correctly! Deadline to submit your art is May 22nd at 10pm CST!
- Tune in to OpenMikeLIVE! Monday, May 25th @7pm CST to see if your artwork will be featured! Remember, submitting your artwork does not guarantee that it will be shared, so tune in and see who will be highlighted!
In honor of the incredible mentor and activist, Brother Mike Hawkins, OpenMike was created to present a space for high school students to share, express, and network with like-minded individuals. 5 years have now gone by, and OpenMike is still going strong! At OpenMike, students have the opportunity to perform/present anything they’d like to share with their peers. Students dance, rap, sing, perform magic, give presentations, tell stories, and perform spoken-word.
Power to the People, RIGHT ON!